I - Make a surviving plan :
1/ Identify a place to evacuate :
- Establish a plan of action
- Pick different places in case of abondoning home
- Choose high-ground routes to shelters
- Call an emergency service
2/ Family communication plan :
- Write down contact information on printed-blank plans
- Use texting method and untied up lines for emergency
3/ Emergency supply assembly :
- Bring identification papers and cash money stored in a water proof container
- Bring first aid kit,flash light ,batteries,cellphone,manual can opener food,water etc....
- Check for any secondary needs after packing the primary basic supplies
II - Escaping flood waters :
1/ Evacuate dangerous areas :
- Escape quickly using plannedroute,heading to shelters
- Listen to emergency services to keep yourself safe
- Leave everything and grab emergency kit
2/Move to higher grounds :
- Avoid obstacles like drains , streams , creeks or rivers
- Head to roof if you're stuck at home
3/Avoid crossing through water :
- Bring a stick to cross the water in obliged cases
4/Stay out of moving water :
- Never drive, ride or walk through floodwater. This is the main cause of death during floods.
- Escapethe car if it got stuck
5/Swim backwards to survive moving water :
- Never go under debris,keep your head above water
- Yell to make notice for rescuers
- Keep your feet positioned upstream, using them to push away from obstacles floating with you
III - Protecting your home :
1/Home insurance against flooding :
- if you are in a high risk of flooding ,you should be insured
- You may choose flood insuranceagainst water damage
2/Barricade your home against flood water :
- Seal your basement to make your home more resistant
- Use sealant on cracks .
- Raise chemicals and oils well above the forecast flood height.
- Put household valuables and electrical items as high as possible.
3/Reduce flood damageto utilities andvaluables :
- Disconnectyourutilitieswhen there' s potential to do it
- Protect your valuables before flooding
IV - Following news and warnings:
1/ Listen to news for flooding warnings :
- Tune in TV channels or websites to monitor weather changes
- Turn on local radio station for update
2/Watch out for known flooding areas :
- Stay away from drains, culverts and waterways. Water can flow quickly and have strong currents.
- Stay well clear of fallen trees, power lines and damaged buildings.
- Never allow children to play in floodwater. This is the main cause of death during floods for children and young people.
3/ listen to authorities for evacuation directions :
- Listen to local radio stations for periodic updates
- Don’t attempt to go home until the authorities say it’s safe to do so
V - Returning home after a flood:
1/ Watch out for damaged areas :
- Find alternate routes over high ground
- Stay away from buildings that were hit by floodwaters
2/ Avoid downed electrical lines and flooded areas :
- Don't approach any live-downed electrical wires
- Stay away from buildings surrounded by floodwater
3/ Turn off all electrical and gas lines :
- Inspect your home using flash light
- Get away from home in case of gas leak
- Make sure everything is secure before using a candle or a torch
4/ Use a stick to check for snakes :
- Use a pole to inspect while measuring the damage
- Call animal control specialist to get rid of anomalies
5/ Take pictures of your home for insurance purposes :
- Get movies or pictures of your entire house
- Use a disposable camera if you need
6/ Make repairs to your home :
- Get a professionel to check your home for structural damage
- Get someone for electrical and gas repairs
7/ Clean your home :
- Scrub affected areas with hot water
- Stay out of disaster areas and allow safety experts to manage the recovery efforts.
- Use fans to dry out hidden areas
2-When you hear a Flood Watch or weather warning
3-During the flood
4-After the flood: Recovery
SpaceApps is a NASA incubator innovation program.