Our focus and project for the NASA Space Apps 2018, is to provide a way for a person, a company or another kind of economical entity to monitor the cryosphere effects on their location of interest.
- Using the EARTHDATA NASA search engine and specifically the “MODIS/Terra Snow Cover Daily L3 Global 500m SIN Grid V006” Collection , we are able to inspect the granule that includes the user’s given location.
- Using the source location as a starting point, we search in the neighbouring areas for cryosphere affected areas, and more specifically for areas with a bigger snow cover rating than a minimum value that we manipulate depending on the context.
- The project provides 2 functionalities:
- The first provides the user with the region that is part of the cryosphere and is closest to him. Starting from the location given and gradually going to the outer areas, the nearest area under cryosphere is found.
- The second informs the user of points of interest that are closely affected from that regional cryosphere and is specific and manipulated by us. So we can learn which schools are affected , hospitals, farms, businesses etc.